Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fashion Commentary: Tights with Shorts

So today I took a leap of fashion! The organization I am president of MISS Women's Group, started hosting yoga classes in the morning and I am a very devoted attendee. The problem is, I have class immediately following the yoga session so whatever I wear has to be comfortable and daywear fashionable (at least for me).

Today's outfit of choice was to wear a pair of short jean shorts with black tights, a sweatshirt top and classic low top "Chuck Taylor's". In the mirror I thought this outfit was super cute, however I had not been prepared for the criticism I would receive from my fellow claflinites".

It was interesting to note that the males questioned " where are the rest of my clothes", while females that I did not know only gave looks of intimation or interest. My female friends However assured me that my outfit was indeed cute and not trashy as I had feared.

While I have seen this look several places online and adorned on other students I question whether the clothes we wear are shaped by our own ideas or that which we think will be most acceptable by the larger crowd we engage ourselves with each day. In observance of the wardrobe of students on campus, all of the guys tend to dress alike by junior year and the same for the girls with slight variations and "spices of individuality" as my supervisor once put it.

A lot of the time we tend to conform to a certain dress code by our majors and the types of activities we are involved in. Athletes for the most part still wear sweats and shorts, business majors wear suits, education majors wear cardigans and so on. The fashionista's tend to spring out of humanities majors. While this is not true to all people it is quite interesting how people treat you by the way you are dressed on any given day.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! Your outfit today was creative. You were thinking outside of the box.

    ReplyDelete